I have been toying with food ideas, and my head kickboxing instructor told me his protein pancake recipe. I’m now of the opinion that:
- Carbs aren’t evil
- Food I can eat with my hands means I’m more likely to grab it and eat it on the go, rather than a peanut butter sandwich (which is evil)
- Food has to taste nice otherwise I’ll eat it for a fortnight and then move on
- More protein, more often is a good thing, and face-stuffable hand-held pancakes facilitate that
I also have a bucket of protein powder that I have left over from a protein phase of my life, long since passed. I tried his recipe, and when I interpreted it (let’s face it, does anyone really follow recipes verbatim?) and substituted a few ingredients, it taste ok, but was like eating tires. This is not his fault – he let me try his rendition, and it was like eating pureed manna.
So I’ve been tweaking and eating a lot of tirecakes of late, and today I think I’ve hit the jackpot. Here’s my almost perfect mancake recipe:
- Four eggs
- Four egg whites
- two scoops of protein powder. Unfortunately mine is strawberry flavor
- half a banana
- half a cup of oats
- a tablespoon of almond milk (mainly to help the oats blend)
How to make:
- Blend three shades of last week out of the above
- pour half a cup into hot butter on a small pan.
- Set aside in the fridge for when you need a manly snack
So why almost perfect? Well, my protein powder is strawberry which turns the mancakes pink. Not very macho.