≡ Menu

How to Stop Grammarly Ads on YouTube

Grammarly Ads on YouTube really get my goat, and I wanted to figure out how to stop seeing them. After a bunch of searching for “how to stop grammarly ads on YouTube” yielded nothing, I sat down at my stand up desk and thought about it.

I figured it out. And there’s only one sure-fire way.

Why Do I Notice Grammarly Ads So Much on YouTube?

GrammarlyYouTubeAd

Tired of seeing this over and over and over and over again?

I probably wouldn’t have noticed them any other day, but yesterday I had a bit of a YouTube binge. Sometimes when I’m sad, I watch men fighting on YouTube – it’s like a mis-placed aggression being acted out on a canvas surface. It only really hurts myself.

Now there’s no reason to expect young men to donate their brain cells to sport without being paid. So YouTube has two modes – ad supported and a subscription model.

Grammarly wants to tout their product and pays for the privilege.

YouTube gets some money, the person providing the content gets some money.

(though I suspect it’s really content aggregators who provide montages of other people’s content who really get paid – “Top 10 apocalypses that ended worlds” probably doesn’t feed too much money back to the original four horsemen that started them and their patient videographers – I believe the fifth horseman is now called Social Media and gets the lion’s share of funding, but then again is probably doing more to cause depression and anxiety in the modern world. And as we know from dirty warfare, you don’t win by killing people cleanly, you weaken the opposition by wounding them severely and forcing them to care for the wounded. Ergo Social Media’s unwitting side-effects are probably doing more to hamstring civilization than smallpox)

So Grammarly is paying a bundle to get their product out there. On one hand you might see their grammar and spelling correction as helpful. On the other, you might see that sending every single thing you type to a third party (over and above Google et al.) might be a great opportunity to lose every single secret you ever wanted to keep and to give yet another platform the knowledge to advertise the heck out of your interactions.

The Only Way To Stop Grammarly Ads

The answer is pretty simple I’m afraid.

HowToStopGrammarlyAdsYouTube

It’s that simple. Click like there’s no tomorrow

You click on their ads as often as possible.

The company has a marketing department. It has a budget. It is measured on its ability to put ads on a network, get people to click on them, and then ultimately sign up for Grammarly – either the free version where you just give them every jot of your typed data, or the paid version where you pay about $30 per month for the same privilege.

So every time you see an ad, click on it. You’ll see a link from YouTube like this:

So What Happens When I Click on a Grammarly Ad on YouTube

If you break down the URL above, you’ll see standard tracking parts – things beginning with utm_ (utm_medium, utm_source etc.) allow the marketeers to say what generated the click to their site, and also present different data quite easily to the user.

You can build your own utm_ URLs ideal for google analytics at the Google campaign URL builder.  ( Random fact: UTM stands for Urchin Tracking Modules – Urchin being a company Google bought in 2005 to help them get Analytics up and running)

The useful part in this for us people frustrated by the sheer frequency of Grammarly advertisements is the utm_medium=cpc part. CPC stands for cost per click.

So every time we click on it, the campaign budget is used up. The more we click, the less money they have to pay for ads. The less conversions – people signing up from YouTube clicks they have – the less they’ll be inclined to flood YouTube with their visual canticles.

Everyone Needs To Contribute to Stop YouTube Grammarly Ads

I can’t do this all by myself. We need everyone to click the living bejesus out of those ads consistently for a week. Click the damn thing every time you see it. Get your friends to click it. Get your enemies to click it twice. Click it til the insipid campaign is all done. Spent and spent. Exhausted crashing on the walls of user indifference. Click it til it’s dead. If I can place a banner here for Grammarly I will.

Does Grammarly Work?

If you want to know more about Grammarly, you might give their product a whirl. I know I did a few years back and thought it was quite a useful way to learn more about grammar. I’ve written a little update, and will use lots of funny parameters in the link to that Grammarly update to show how they work (although in practice, you wouldn’t need to do that with links from your own site.)

I love the BBC’s comment on Grammarly when it raised $110m in funding in 2017:

Its own website contains the sentence: “Enhance your sentences with Grammarly’s context-optimized word choice suggestions to instantly improve the readability of your document.”

Clearly split infinitives are safe from the software’s forensic gaze.

{ 20 comments… add one }
  • Michael Kohlberger 2019/02/12, 09:07

Thanks for the tip, will try to remove that annoying ad. Somehow, it always makes me feel like the internet believes that I have terrible grammar.

• ronmalibu 2019/03/03, 00:15

All our grammar are bad. It´s what make us human.
      Of course, since gmail already guesses what Iºm going to type in an email, soon I´ll just be a bot. And then my grammar are being perfect

• Cobra Kai 2019/03/29, 07:09

Dang! That grammarly ad really got on my nerves. I’ve been searching a way to get read of it for some time, really. Thank you, I’m gonna try this one.

• Gary Kennedy 2019/05/01, 20:21

“Clearly split infinitives are safe from the software’s forensic gaze.” As they should be: there’s nothing wrong with splitting an infinitive, and plenty of the most revered authors have done so. Here’s what Bernard Shaw wrote about someone trying to correct split infinitives:

I ask you, Sir, to put this man out. Give the porter orders to use such violence as may be necessary if he attempts to return, without, however, interfering with his perfect freedom of choice between “to suddenly go,” “to go suddenly”, and “suddenly to go”. See that he does not come back; that is the main thing. And allow me, as one who has some little right to speak on the subject, to assure your readers that they may, without the slightest misgiving, use adverbed infinitives in any of the three ways given above. All they need consider is which of the three best conveys by its rhythm the feeling they wish to express.

• Idiot101 2019/05/30, 15:40

Grammerly ad honestly makes me want to paint the ceiling red Curt Cobain style. Just FO

• Split Infinitive 2019/06/03, 20:16

Grammatically speaking, the use of split infinitives is acceptable:

Suggesting it isn’t as a way to bash grammarly is therefore a bit amusing 🙂

• ronmalibu 2019/06/04, 01:23

Thanks for the link and for pointing that out. Split infinitives may well be allowed, I guess it’s style and preference. My grammar ain’t perfect, you don’t have to really try hard to find me split my infinitives, or find inconsistencies.

Still, grammarly ads pester the living bejesus out of me. Who voted them for world’s grammar police? Not I.

• Doobend 2019/06/13, 10:23

Grammarly ads are so annoying, I’m not exaggerating when I say I haven’t had an ad other than Grammarly for a week, I’m serious. I thought downloading it would help, but it seemed to make the ads more aggressive. I also tried typing “I hate Grammarly” into google 20 times, so that the algorithm would GET A HINT, but it only got rid of the ads for a week.

I will click those ads with all my heart. Forget, smash the like button, smash the Grammarly ads!!!!!

• Ihate Grammarly 2019/06/25, 16:37

This is not an acceptable solution!!! I REFUSE!!! Grrrr!!!
    I also wrote “F£$k you GRAMMALY” into google to see if that would make a difference, unfortunately not!!

• ashc 2019/07/12, 04:49

This ad from grammarly is driving me insane. How can I block it?
    Screw them.

• Ian Cargill 2019/07/13, 18:54

Split infinitives have been around since Middle English. Some people still don’t like them, but general consensus in grammar books is that they are not wrong, just contentous. George Bernard Shaw defended their use. Like some other so-called “rules” in English, it comes at least in part from pretending rules of Latin grammar apply to English. They don’t.
    Also, I’ve seen a quiz that showed pairs of sentances with/without split infinitive. They asked English speakers which sounded more natural and in about 30% of cases, they preferred the split version as sounding more natural..

• Robert Firth 2019/07/28, 11:13

Count me in agreement; I find grammarly
    advertisements too annoying and far too
    frequent.

One of the earlier promotions I saw said
    this product would help me “write smarter”.
    While I would certainly like to write “more
    smartly”, I doubt that a product that cannot
    tell the difference between an adjective and
    an adverb would be much help. The makers
    of this turkey ought to spend more time
    getting it right, and a lot less time annoying
    the entire internet persuading people to buy it.

• ronmalibu 2019/07/29, 04:50

It going to help you doin smart writings innit

• Joe Bradfield 2019/07/29, 22:06

So… *you* thought the split infinitive in that line was some kind of mistake? Wow. I think you really do need Grammarly. Your knowledge of English syntax is too shallow.

But yes, Grammarly sucks, and I was here to find out HOW TO STOP THOSE F*CKIN ANNOYING ADS!

• ronmalibu 2019/07/30, 00:52

Hey certainly do raise ire, those ads about grammar and syntax correctness

• John Collins 2019/07/31, 14:22

I tried grammerly and I think it’s crap.

• ronmalibu 2019/07/31, 23:24

Maybe you’re not insecure enough about your grammar to feel the need to pay for grammarly

• jane 2019/08/02, 16:14

SERIOUSLY!!! I HATE HATE HATE GRAMMARLY!

(And the irony is not lost on me that the word GRAMMARLY gets the red squiggly line when I type it. LOL)

And I am NOT clicking on any links. I’m sorry, not gonna do it. More clicks mean the ad is working, in their view. So I refuse to click.

There must be some other way to make this stop. The ad plays EVERY TIME I try to start a new YouTube video!!!

HELP!!! Anyone???

• ronmalibu 2019/08/03, 13:30

Hate is a strong word but grammarly need a good kicking.

Their ad is working if they link as views with sales. If their ads get viewed and clicked but no sales follow, then they stop spending money on ads. So their ads aren’t working!

• Will 2019/08/15, 04:16

Surely this is turning counter productive now. With so many people getting annoyed by their repetitive adverts (literally playing after almost every single video now) their conversions to actual customers must be dropping like a stone. I write in my spare time, but I know I will NEVER use Grammarly. EVER! No one this annoying will ever get my custom.